My wonderful soon-to-be-sister dropped off some beautiful, fresh squash! Sitting on my counter for probably over a week, I decided I had to do SOMETHING with them before they go bad. I’ve never cut or cooked with whole squash before so this was new to me. With some research I learned how to properly cut and cook whole squash and turn it into delicious squash soup! When my chef of a fiancé saw my video he said “your using the wrong knife!” But when I researched how to cut hard, whole, squash it recommended using this type of knife so that you can saw through the tough outer skin! If you find it easier to use a different knife you may! Below is what you will need and what you will do. The video shows you how to do it under 5 minutes 😉 with a guest appearance by our princess Philly my loving fiancé. ❤ Happy New Year lovelies, let’s make it a good one! Like this post if you would like to see more videos OR more recipes!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (you’ll notice I do not peel mine)
- 2 cups chicken broth (not shown in the video but a vital part, don’t forget it!)
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce (I used Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, gotta grow those muscles!)
What You’ll Do:
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together squash, broth, coconut milk, onion, brown sugar, and fish sauce
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Use an immersion blender to carefully blend soup until completely smooth. (Or, transfer the mixture in batches to a food processor or blender; or use a potato masher to mash mixture nearly smooth.)
- Ladle into bowls, cuddle up next to the fireplace, and enjoy with your favorite people ❤